Copyright Changes to Print & Digital Coursepacks and Avenue to Learn
Fair Dealing Information for Instructors
The Fair Dealing provision in the Copyright Act allows us to reproduce short excerpts of a copyright protected work for the purposes of education.
Short excerpt means:
- Up to 10% of a copyright-protected work
- One chapter from a book
- One article from a periodical
- An entire newspaper article
- An entire poem or musical score
- An entire entry from an encyclopedia
The Fair Dealing Policy changes the copyright procedures around what can be used in a coursepack. The readings you have used in the past may not necessarily be used in future coursepacks. If your selections exceed the Fair Dealing guidelines our department will negotiate and secure the necessary permissions and remit appropriate royalty payments.
We make preparing your custom course materials easy:
- submit the materials you would like to include (either by email or visit our office)
- provide a list indicating the order in which you would like the readings to appear
- we will take care of the rest
We have no deadline for submissions. Contact us for current production timelines.
|Custom Courseware Department|
|"Respecting Intellectual Property in the Academic Environment"|